Wednesday 25 May 2011

Week 2 of build: 4

I started the day off by going down to Rochester with Sarah L to look at the door handles in the DIY shop there. We spent a long time looking and they had a few that she was interested in but they didn't have 5 the same or even similar so after long discussions Sarah put an order in for 5 handles that they said she would be able to pick up in a couple of days.
When we got back Adam was working with Katerina to cover the sofa, by the end of the day the two of them had finished it and it looked amazing I wasn't sure how it would looked finished, it was very impressive when finished and I half didn't want him to distress it but knew for the set that he would have to. Laura spent the day finishing her nurses chair.
Eleanor, Hannah and Sarah put together the top of the table, which needs timber cut to strengthen the sides because she didn't build a frame like Sarah had, once that was done all that she had left to do was make the legs.
Emily carried on with the fire place, cutting out the sections needed for it. While she was doing that I varnished the tiles. The tiles had been painted white re sanded and Emily had painted flowers on them, they were very impressive but didn't look old. So I got varnish and yellow paint and gave each tile two coverings of the mixture to make them looked aged.
The Walls were shredded using not only knives and hands but a range of other tools like wire brushes and sand paper, giving it the desired shredded look. Stuart continued working on doors.
Once I had finished the tiles I asked Simon to help me with my chair, the one I had bought was the right shape and size but the back didn't look old enough so I had to put a new back on it. Simon advised me to make something that could just be slid over it so I got some MDF measured out how wide it would need to be with timber down the sides and across the top then drew out my design on it. It was then cut to shape. When this was done I cut out pieces of timber that would go down each side and along the top. these were attached using glue and pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment