Monday 23 May 2011

Gregor's Chair

I started my research for the chair by looking for 1900's Czechoslovakian chairs but I wasn't having much luck, someone had mentioned that we look at Art Nouveau because this was the style that was in fashion at the time, this brought up a few more searches but I wasn't finding Anything that I wanted to use to base my chair on. Then Eleanor put up a good website on the blog a very useful website that sold antique furniture, I was able to pull out quite a few chairs that would be interesting to use as inspiration.
I found these two chairs interesting because of the organic shapes included in them, almost as if vines and plants were draped over the wood work. I had thought of doing a design like this, including natural aspects as if Gregor's bug form was making him see like this as well with everything in his room resembling nature, but after a tutorial and then a meeting this idea was scrapped, we decided not to make it too literal.
I liked the elegant but simple look of this and felt that this could be interesting when it came to designing the chair, but when it came to the final design I went with a different look.
This was interesting, it was as elegant as the others, simple but it would still be interesting to use, the design mainly going into the material used on the seat. But I felt that it would look to much like a dining chair and not enough like a desk chair.
I finally went with the shape of this chair, you get the fluid lines of the first tow chairs but you can create the simplicity of the second two, its not too over the top. Once I knew what shape I wanted it to be I had to measure out the size it would have to be to fit in the room and then I could draw it to scale, for this I used a normal modern chair just for the hight of the seat to the floor and the and the width of the seat. width = 21'' , depth = 21'', back hight = 3'3'', front height = 18''



No comments:

Post a Comment